TOEFL Preparation Courses
Program Availability: Chamblee, GA (Main Campus)
The TOEFL® internet-based test (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is an English language examination that measures the ability of nonnative speakers of English to use and understand English at the university level. This test is designed to prepare nonnative speakers of English for admission into and success in a North American College or University. The TOEFL Prep program offers training in the reading skills, listening skills, speaking skills, and writing skills that are measured by the TOEFL iBT test and that are necessary for effective communication and academic success. This program contains a combination of classroom-based instruction and laboratory work not only designed to make students acquire the skills needed to pass the TOEFL iBT test, but also to make them get hands-on experience with online simulated TOEFL tests.
TOEFL COURSE DESCRIPTIONS
|CED 310||Speaking and Listening for Academic Success|
In this class, students learn about the types of speaking tasks and listening materials that make up the speaking section and the listening section of the TOEFL iBT. They learn strategies that will help them answer the questions and improve their speaking and listening scores. In the speaking section, students learn to state and explain their opinion. They also demonstrate how pieces of information obtained from different sources are related. In the listening section, students practice answering different types of questions, including main idea and detail questions, speaker attitude and purpose questions, learn to identify the organizational patterns of a lecture or academic discussion. In addition to learning how to answer speaking and listening questions, students also develop their pronunciation skills and note taking skills.
|CED 320||Reading and Writing for Academic Success|
In this class, students learn about the types of reading questions and writing tasks that make up the reading section and the writing section of the TOEFL iBT. They learn strategies that will help them answer the questions and improve their reading and writing scores. In the reading section, students develop scanning skills, learn to read for main ideas and details, develop vocabulary building skills, demonstrate understanding of long and complex sentences, and analyze the organization of ideas. In the writing section, students learn to write different types of essays with an introductory paragraph, body paragraphs, and a concluding paragraph. Editing skills are also developed through a review of the English grammar.
PLEASE NOTE: Students are recommended to take both CED 310 and CED 320 in order to maximize their chances of scoring high on the test.
TOEFL COURSES OFFERED AT ICT
|COURSE #||COURSE TITLE||CONTACT HOURS|
|CED 310||Speaking and Listening for Academic Success||20|
|CED 320||Reading and Writing for Academic Success||20|
WHY CHOOSE ICT FOR YOUR TOEFL PREPARATION?
- Extensive online component
- Auto-graded practice tests
- Automated essay scoring
- Customized learning paths that allow for focus study
- Hands-on activities for each skill
- Advanced speech recognition exercises
- Special Vocabulary Building, Note Taking, Improving Your Pronunciation, and Written Grammar Tutorial sections give students an opportunity to expand learning and practice the skills required to do well on the test.
OBJECTIVES OF THE TOEFL PREPARATION COURSE
- To identify English language skills where the student is weak and to guide the student towards strengthening those areas.
- To prepare the student for the TOEFL iBT test by guiding the student through the necessary skills and testing strategies and through many hours of simulated online TOEFL tests.
- To prepare the student for admission into and success in a college or university where English is used or required.
- To assist an English language learner in tracking his or her progress.
DETAILS ABOUT OUR TOEFL PREPARATION COURSES
- Course Length
- 2 days of class (2 hours per class + lab work) each week
- 2 x 5-week sessions
- Unlimited access to use of TOEFL practice software on the computer
- BOOK: Complete Guide to the TOEFL® iBT – Text with CD-ROM, Online Tutorial Pkg.
List Price= $65.00 in ICT bookstore or FREE with Summer Sale Price
- A textbook (The Complete Guide to the TOEFL Test – iBT Edition)
- An interactive CD-Rom that includes two complete practice tests – this will be taken out of the book and installed on computers in the lab and students will have unlimited access to it.
- Access codes for the online tutorial
Online Component: This an Online Tutorial for the TOEFL powered by MyELT. Special features of the Online Tutorial include:
- 4 complete, auto-graded practice TOEFL tests: Practice exams include automated essay grading which allows the student to know they are prepared for the writing portions of the test before they take the actual TOEFL exams.
- Customized learning paths that allow for focused study: There are Diagnostic tests that carve out customized learning for each user. This saves time from having to train on items that are already mastered.
- 40 hours of online practice in all areas of the TOEFL (10 hours each in reading, writing, listening, speaking)
- Hands-on activities for each English skill that engages students and keeps them interested. Speaking is an important part of the exam, and this product includes advanced speech recognition exercises that allow students to practice and master the speaking elements in which they need the most help.
If you’re seeking English as a second language certification in Atlanta or would like to prepare for the TOEFL test in Georgia, consider Interactive College of Technology. Contact us today to learn more. Call Lucena Jimenez at 678-287-3505 or email at email@example.com